Saturday, May 27, 2006

First group ride today!


Before the afternoon bike ride I went to the Indy 500 parade. Lance Armstrong (this year's pace car driver) was there and I got a few pics.

I went on my first group ride of the season today with Mr. W, S.W., and Jon. We started at the 96th St. Monon Trail parking lot, went down the Monon Trail, cut through Broad Ripple, and then got on the Tow Canal Path. When we were in between the the two trails Jon slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting a tree limb hanging over the sidewalk. His rear tire must not have stopped, or he only used his front brake, but he flew up over the handle bars and landed on his feet. He was unharmed from that little stunt. Then when we were almost to the end on the Tow Canal Path, a biker tried to pass me and I kept with him for a good while. Then we came across a road, he acted as if he was going to turn, but he didn't and he pulled ahead of me. I think he did it on purpose! We had a quick break for water and chocolate energy bars, then we headed back, with Jon and I taking the lead and increasing it. On the way back Jon was having some minor trouble with his front derailleur, shifting into the third gear. After Broad Ripple he messed with it again and then it just quit working all together. Since he couldn't pedal, he turned his rear LED light to flashing then started walking. He ran then would jump on, would run by it or coast... and even carry it. I peddled near him slowly and we got to talk. We had a little over 2 miles but it passed quickly and we were soon at the truck.

Overall the ride took three hours, and we (Jon & I) completed it in 2 hours and 45 minutes. Mr. W. and S.W. came in 15 minutes later.

I drank probably 20+ ounces of water right after the ride, way to fast when I should have been cooling down. My gut was feeling worse and worse until after I got home, I emptied my stomach, then I felt fine. I think I learned my lesson.

Well, I really enjoyed my first group ride of the season and I'm excitedly looking forward to many more!

No comments: