Saturday, June 24, 2006

Group ride downtown

Mr. W., S.W., Jon and I left a little after 6:30p.m. from the bank parking lot, crossed the road and started down the Canal Tow Path.

At a stop light a punk in a car yelled at us "Hey motherf******s!" I ignored him, but at the next light, he yelled "Don't I know you from somewhere?" Then I told him to shut up, and that was the end of that... fortunantly.

Mr. W. said that we could try the woods trail today if we wanted to, so at the first opening we went for it. It was really muddy so it wasn't much fun and we got back to the main gravel path as quickly as possible. When we exited the woods we were right across from a bridge so Jon and I crossed it, but, finding it was a dead end we turned around. As I came off the bridge, I swung wide onto the path to avoid coming close to a guy walking. My rear tire kept sliding and I wiped out. My left knee dug into the gravel, leaving me with a good deal of blood running down my leg. Boy, did it sting for a while!

A little farther down the trail, we turned off onto the White River bike trail heading downtown. When we got farther downtown, Mr. W. got a little mixed up and we spent 10 minutes getting back to the right path. Then we kept going.

When the trail ended we kept going on the sidewalk all the way downtown to the circle. We circled the circle (sounds funny...) and paused for a few minutes to get out water bottles filled from the extras Mr. W. was carrying. We didn't have anything to eat because we forgot to stick the power bars in our bags, so we turned around and headed back. At one of the hotels on the circle, there were several high-end vehicles parked there, including; a black Hummer H2, a light blue Mercedes, and a red Ferrari.

Heading back up the way we came was pretty uneventful. Jon and I were way ahead of Mr. W. and S.W. and were making pretty good time at 14mph. A biker (guy, slightly overweight, older thirties/mid forties, blue jersey) slowly caught up with us then passed us. Jon and I tried to stick with him... but I fell behind as Jon stayed with him for a while. Then the guy stopped for a rest, about a mile from finishing, so we blazed by him. After we crossed the next intersection Jon and I turned on out taillights since it was getting darker.

Jon and I got back to the truck before Mr. W. and S.W. did so we decided to see if we could buy any food while we waited. Jon guarded out bikes while I went into a CVS Pharmacy, but everything was so expensive I decided we could wait. When everyone was a t the truck, Mr. W. passed out South Beach Diet chocolate meal replacement bars and we dug in. While we stood there eating a yellow Ferrari Spider went down the road slowly so we got a good look at it. Then we loaded up and headed out.

At the first McDonalds we came to, we all got grilled chicken sandwiches, and at the next McDs we all got chocolate dipped vanilla ice cream cones. A great ending to a great ride!

Tm: 2 hrs, 15 mins
Mi: 23.64
Tp. Spd: 18.8mph
Av. Spd: 10.5mph

No comments: